The Mosman Swans coaching appointment process encourages the rotation of coaches through a 2/3 year cycle.
The rationale being:
- kids benefit from a number of coaches through the course of their junior career, getting a diversity of learning experiences and multiple mentors.
- tap more of the parental resources within the club, helping us to identify interested parties, making more positions available and participation more accessible.
- in time develop a pool of experience, with former coaches and aspiring coaches adding to the team support.
At the end of each season we call for expressions of interest in all coaching & assistant coaching positions.
Where more than one person is interested in a head coaching position we will discuss alternatives with the applicants. If required, a three person selection panel (comprising club president, football manager and coaching mentor) will make an appointment, with following considerations:
- Incumbent coach nominating for a second season receives favourable bias to capitalise on their experience and reward their effort.
- No bias for third season. If a coach is appointed for a third season there is an expectation they will aim to identify and groom a potential successor during that season.
- Bias towards a new coach if incumbent nominating for a fourth season. Time given in assistant coaching role viewed favourably in selection process.
Aspiring and retiring coaches are encouraged to take on support roles whenever possible, building a core of experience and expertise around our teams.