Take the Next Step
Junior Football is the next step for kids who are ready to move on from NAB AFL Auskick or other introductory school and/or community programs. It’s the perfect environment for kids to have fun learning through play, make new friends and create memories that last a lifetime. Rules of matches are modified in the early Junior grades so children can continue to develop their skills in an enjoyable, safe atmosphere.
Kids are gradually introduced to competitive football in stages as they gain stills and confidence through Junior football into Youth football in U14s, U16s and U18s. We adopt a philosophy that ensures kids have a fun, safe and positive football experience that is suitable to their needs.
Junior/Youth Football 2022
Many girls prefer to play Australian Football with other girls, and where possible we recommend girls over age 10 do so. However, should your daughter prefer to play in a mixed-gender team or competition, they are permitted to do so until U12s.
We welcome girls to join our club at any age, regardless of previous experience.
Girls football has teams across two-year-range age groups from U10s to U18s. Age eligibility is based on age at 31 December 2023. For girls, this means if you are turning 9 or 10 in 2023 you will play U10s, turning 11 or 12 playing U12s and so on.
Under 10s is non-graded competition, with the competition divisionalised on geographic boundaries to minimise travel. Under 10s are non-competitive, with no results posted, ladders kept or finals held. In Under 12s it moves to a graded structure, with teams divisionalised according to ladder position and ability, rather than geography.
Girls Junior and Youth teams may become a joint venture with Willoughby Wildcats. This is subject to registration numbers.
Youth Football gradually gets more competitive to ensure once your child is 15 years old they are ready for the full rules of Australian Football.
Games are generally played on Sundays, as well as occasional Friday nights. Training is held mid-week in the evenings.
- New Mosman Swans Junior players will be provided with uniforms as part of their registration. There will be a uniform collection day at the start of the season. Alternate arrangements will be made if you are unable to collect on the day.
- Youth and Junior players who are part of a joint venture team with Willoughby will be provided with a Jersey and will need to purchase shirts and socks through the Willoughby Wildcats uniform shop.
- Additional uniform items and accessories can be purchased through our online shop.
NSW Government’s Active Kids Voucher
You can use the NSW Government’s Active Kids Voucher to save $100 on your registration fee. How to claim:
1. Visit Service NSW and create or login to your MyServiceNSW Account
2. Complete an Active Kids application through your MyServiceNSW Account. You will receive a voucher with a unique ID number for each child you register (available to download, print and email).
3. Enter the ID number when prompted on the registration form.
Please note: Vouchers cannot be applied retrospectively, so please ensure you have your voucher number ready before registering.